Monday, February 4, 2008

What Are We Saving For Anyway?



What are we saving for anyway? What are you waiting on? Today I am not taking about savings accounts. Savings accounts are good things I have been saved by them on more than one occasion. I am not talking about money period. Today I am talking about us. What do we wait on, what are we saving ourselves for (I am not talking about sex just in case you where going there.). I am talking about our beings, the essence of who we are. The currency that makes up our daily lives. Its where we apply our efforts. It seems we can often hold back. We sometimes don’t give 100 percent because we’re afraid of failure, sometimes we’re afraid of rejection, and other times we’re afraid of the sacrifice. Ever not do something because you thought it would be too hard, we’re afraid of the effort we might have to put into it. I had the privilege last night about talking to my nephew about the Super bowl we some how got on the subject of if we had the chance to play in it at our current skill level, like if we had one a contest that allowed us to run one play in the actual game, would we do it. I said yes, he said no. When I asked him why, he said " what if I screw up in front of all those people.” Fear of failure. I told him I know for a fact that I would screw up, even if I didn’t I would be lucky if I made it a yard before I became flattened like a pancake but I would have still gotten to play in the super bowl. Who knows I could get lucky and make a touch down (ha! ). You never know unless you try. The bottom line is no matter how poorly I did I would have had experience that probably everyone who reads this blog would have never had. Here’s a quote “when it comes to setting goals always shoot for the moon even if you miss you still land in the stars”. This brings me back to my point. What are you saving for? What do you hold back on, where do not give 100 percent, where are you afraid to try and why? I was reading in Philippians chapter 2 verse 17: “But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you.” He is saying that if his life is poured out like a drink offering it was worth it. To see what he had seen it was worth it. If I am looking at the last hours of my life I want to be as a Paul was, rejoicing. He had lived his life to fullest. He had been beaten, imprisoned, shipwrecked, had spent nights with out food and shelter. Had been rejected by close friends and had his share of failures. He died spent, his life poured out like a drink offering with nothing left in the cup. That is how you live the adventure dying spent, with nothing saved or left. If you have anything left you’ll never know what you could have got with it. Here is to dying spent. Live life to fullest, live the adventure.

1 comment:

Joseph said...

No savings here my friend!!!